Tuesday 10 July 2012

Life in Jakarta Part II


I saw a group of cyclist on Friday night, I guess it was a weekly thing for cyclist there. But cycling in Jakarta is not ideal, however, the cyclist were all in the busway lane (special lane for bus only). I don’t think I can stand riding there due to the bad air and traffic. I’m starting to miss my bike and Penang island.

Security is really tight here. You have to go through the scanner before entering any buildings; shopping malls, hotels, offices, you name it. Before the guard let our cab in, the driver would have to wind down the window and open the car bonnet for inspection. (And the reason for the winding down the side window is due to the super thick dark tinted glass. They have no rules for it.) The guards would check the side of the door with a metal detector and underneath the car.  This is to avoid any suicide bombing or terrorist attack I presume.

hotel's check point
shopping mall check point
Corruption here is pretty nasty. They do it upfront without any hesitant. I was in the immigration office to report myself there. I was then being called into a room, which you have to take picture, sign and drop a coin in a customer satisfaction box. While waiting for my turn, another officer came in a shook hands with the officer who was gonna attend to me soon. He then reshuffles the order of the files. And I was like WOW, this happen right in front of my eyes and then don’t give a shit.

notty corrupted immigration officer
 My friend told me as long as you have money here, anything and everything is possible.

No comments: