Monday 16 July 2012

Life in Jakarta Part III

Food here is not as good as Penang’s but I’m not a very picky person when it comes to food. My eating philosophy is, ‘eat to live and no live to eat’. =) For the first few days, our team ate in a mall which is of more quality compare to the street food. A normal plate of fried rice cost about IDR30,000 equivalent to about RM10, quite expensive also.

One thing I realized about the food here is, there is no such thing as besar or add rice/mee. When I made my order, I told the waiter ‘tambah nasi’, he nodded his head. When my fried rice came, I had another additional bowl of white rice and I stunned for a moment. Had to mixed the fried rice and the white rice myself.

My experience in another food court, ordered chicken rice and add another bowl of rice which cost me IDR8,000 (RM2.70), expensive to add rice here. I’ve asked one of my Indon friend and she re-confim that you may only order two portion as there is no large. Seriously…

I’ve left Jakarta and took the domestic flight to Pangkal Pinang, we now dine at the club house here. Home cooked dishes by Indonesians. This is the good stuff, it made me feel like home, white rice, dishes and soup. Even though it’s a bit spicy but I love the food here.


KFC

KFC - look how the wrap the rice. macam burger.

Soto Ayam
Nasi Goreng Gila

soto betawi hawker stall

mee goreng hawker stall

Street food in Indonesia is about IDR10,000 – IDR15,000 (RM3.30 – RM5.00) but the quality is not that great. I had their local Soto Ayam, Soto Daging, Soto Betawi, Mee Bakso, etc and it’s just so-so. Not really my type of food. Most food here will be served with a cracker (snack).

I can survive here but I won’t enjoy the food here. Starting to miss my grandma’s soup; chicken leg soup, ABC soup, bkt soup, fish soup, leng ngau soup and many others.  

No comments: