Thursday 24 May 2012

Merdeka Cup State Selections


Last Tuesday I was at Balik Pulau Sports Complex for a physical test. It's the minimum requirement for those who wants to be shortlisted for the Penang Floorball state team, as we will be playing against Selangor this coming 31st August 2012. It has been a while since I went up there for trainings, ever since senior players were no longer required.

Being around the younger players made me feel really senior. Talked to a few of them and they really put high expectations on me which can be good and vice versa. They expected me to complete the test like 'water'. I told them, my strength is more towards endurance and not boom boom pow stuff. =) Nonetheless, I've trained and prepared for this test. I did my own homework weeks prior to this.

I've completed 3 rounds on the list of workout announced to us. #2 Training philosophy of Innebandy!Co is Independent Culture, I didn't wanna go for the test unprepared and not knowing what to expect. I take this seriously because I want to be a part of the state team. On the other hand, Jason Chew failed the test at 8.0 and he was giving excuses from A - Z on why he couldn't meet the target. So I asked him, did you practice on your own? Did you train independently? Of course his answer was no. Sometimes I wonder, why people expect to receive (increments, bonus, promotion, good result, etc) when they don't give (hard work, dedication, homework, etc). This doesn't just apply in sports but in other aspect of life as well.

I told him, talent itself is not enough, you need to go further to enhance your talent or your gift. I am not the best floorballer or triathlete in the world but I know I am always putting effort to better than yesterday  but not as good as tomorrow. =)

Overall, the test was okay. The only tough parts were the beep test and bur-pees (if it is done correctly). I managed to beat the minimum mark of 8.5 and finished 9.9. Not really that impressive, but I'm happy with the result for now. There were unconfirmed rumors that some athletes have completed the whole 23 levels of the test, which is highly unlikely. They say, top elite endurance athletes would be expected to reach up to level 19. In another source I found said David Beckham reached level 16. Can you imagine David Beckham doing beep test? fuh!
Independent Culture leads to Success

No comments: