Sunday 6 January 2013

2012 in 2013 words

I've been reading many summaries of a person's year 2012 through blogs and facebook wall, so I thought I should write one too. Let's see how did I fair in 2012. Overall, it was a good year for me with some changes. I'm gonna break it down here;

Job & Personal finance
I've left Crowe Horwarh in February and started working in a new old company at Butterworth. It's one of the last few remaining tin mining and smelting company in Malaysia. Getting this job wasn't in my career plan but God has His timing and purpose for granting me this job.

My last day at CW
Stock take at my new company

I started having CC debt since early 2011, don't really talk about it to others because it's really embarrassing to be in such a situation. It's not a big figure but it can never be zero-lized till 4th quarter of this year. With God's grace and discipline in my spending habits, I can now say, "It is finish". I understand the struggle one goes through when you're in debt. Crazy high interest rates and the temptation to spend what you don't have is really high. To make things worst, the bank sets high cap limit for a cc, that is the killer. I've learned to spend within my means and applied what my mum always tell me, "Wear a cap which suits the size of your head.".

I've achieved my personal target in my savings account. Don't ask how much. hehehe. P & C la. If I have not landed my  new job, it would be impossible to hit that amount. So it's really God's blessings upon my life.

God & Church
I've left youth for about 3 years now, I would be lying if I say I don't miss serving in Youth and mingling with the youth. I know I would enjoy being a mentor to this great young group of people. BUT...

I am still serving as a guitarist in Church, but now I play the bass and drums as and when needed. I feel the need to be a drummer. My bro really inspires. Young adult cell is picking up slowly and I consider myself a committed member la. hehe. I really hope we can have a regular meetings with committed bunch of young adults.

Walk with God and daily devotion is ... not good. Definitely the worst area in 2012. Have to pick up on this area. 

Family
Family is all good, grandmother is healthy, parents are in great shape, brother is happy, cousins are all over, one just got married and I have the privileged to emcee his wedding. Overall no death/birth in the family in 2012.
At Mansion 32

Parents went to Hong Kong which was good because they needed a vacation. They have been sacrifing for us all this while, so my bro and I co-sponsored their trip down. Then also went to Singapore early 2012. It would be great if I can sponsor them to Australia in 2013 then my "job" would be done since that is their dream vacation for now.

Relationship & Love
Did I make any new friends in 2012? Yes I did, most of them are through sports and I feel I can connect easily with them. Did I fall in love? hmmmm.

On a brighter note, Aaron started a group chat for the boys, Sam, Joshua Teh, Lin Ken, Rueben, Nicholes, Aaron and myself are in this chat. And I agree with Josh, this is one of the best thing ever, you will get an answer or a comment for anything you send in. The best thing about it is, it is FOC. One day, we talked about going to Singapore for a holiday, and it did turn to reality. Awesome buddies! We call ourselves, the 'bang bros' but now, we've changed it to, 'son of twelve'. Don't ask how we get that name.



Another group I am in, Awesome Three, is still doing well. We have A1, A2 and A3. Me being the youngest and greenest, is the A3 but this year I got a promotion. My rank is now A3**. They are my seniors with vast experience majoring in SYT and OL. Hanging out with them makes me realized a lot about parenting and how much it changes a person's life. Yet they can still have fun and be "young" when they are amongst friends. Really thank God for great friends and support group.

Awesome Three
Official promotion letter from A1
Others 
Most memorable moment for me was losing Orange and finding her back. On top of that, I have my own miniature Schnauzer which is not that miniature somehow. Being a "daddy" and spending most time at home with him really help me understand how parenting is like. I know this is just the tip of the iceberg of parenting but it helps. Sacrificing time, money and effort seems easier when  really love a person. Shadow brings out the love in me. ><
Missing Orange =(


Shadow and mum
Big boy now
I've finally subscribed to Astro after months of debating. I've been wanting to watch live matches of the BPL, Discovery channel, Animal planet, etc. Every time I'm back in my hotel room when I was auditing in Jakarta, there is definitely one interesting program (most of the time educational programs) screening and I would learn something from it. It kinda broaden my knowledge one way or another. I can now watch Tour de France!

watching Tour de France when I was in Jakarta
I shook our "beloved" deputy prime minister's hand and I almost got persecuted for posting this on my FB. This shows how "popular" he is among the rakyat. But how often a chance like this would come by? Just shake lo.


I read 3 books, completed 1. Damn it.
One and only completed book for the year ><


Sports & health
My knee is getting better. Don't feel that sharp pain as I use to feel. I can now do a full squat. I was surprise myself when I was able to do that. All thanks to Shadow. Because I have to keep cleaning his pee and poo, I got up and down till I forgot that I was 'cacat'. Besides that I have God to thank for His working miracles in my life. =)

Innebandy!Co made history with winning back to back titles and securing the champions title for both division. Something I would remember for the rest of my life because 2012 is a special year for many. We had one of the strongest team ever in Innebandy!Co and players were really committed.
Innebandy!Co Champions Div 1 & 2

We had our first every combined camp with Salibandy!Co, Gracebandy!Co and Tyttobandy!Co. Just before the year ended, Alvin introduced another new bandy!Co club, Tarcbandy!Co. It is really something when the vision you have is growing and progressing. A special thanks to all that made this possible!
Bandy!Co Combined Camp

I completed my first full marathon!
Standard Chartered 42k

I did my longest ride; 180km.

Ipoh Century ride 180k
Played paintball for the first time too. It was crazy! Heart rate was at the red zone all the way. Really good workout with lots of fun and excitement! Will do it again.


If I really think about it, I would never imagine doing all this after my knee surgery. Never in my mind. But all things are possible through God who strengthens me.

I did not upgrade my bike or anything. That is a great success. =)

Conclusion
Overall I would rate my 2012 at 8/10. Could be better but I have no regrets for the year. No major ones le, small wan sure have eh la. For this 2013, I hope to explore more new places, earn more PBs, cross out more things from my bucket list, be more advantageous, be more patient, learn something new, be a better son, brother, coach, friend, leader and bf.  If I can just be 50% of my dad, I would be a better man. 2013 bring it on!

No comments: