Sunday 21 June 2009

My Early Days In Floorball

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali, American Boxer

I totally agree with Mr.Ali on his quote. I can remember so clearly my first few training session with the pioneers. hmmmmmmmm. It feels like they were just yesterday. I was all excited holding my loaned Joy Floorball Club Stick riding on a bike following Lin Ken's mum's car.

The first person that was introduced to me there was Steven of Frontliners Floorball Club. When I saw their sticks (first time seeing a competition stick) I was all hiked up, as if they were some hot mamas. I said to myself, "I'll get one soon."

Training begun, I gave all out with my humble club stick and the basic skills that I have mastered (probably only 10%). I didn't want to feel left out so I thought to myself, the only way to do that is to catch the attention of Coach Edward. I know I can never outplay them because their ball control, passes and shots are better than mine. The only thing left to do was to RUN. Speed is what I got, so I've to prove it to them.

One of those training sessions, I got whacked really hard in my fingers and it bleed. No one bothered about me. I concluded that the lower you are in a hierarchy, you are less important than the one up there. From that moment onwards, I said to myself, "I'm gonna train really hard and be one of the best Floorballer in Penang and Malaysia." I've learned to make newcomers feel welcome and to be part of the Floorball family. We should do unto others what you want others to do unto you. Show love!

I have a desire, a dream and a vision.

No comments: