Sunday 8 April 2012

Innebandy!Co (Team Elite) 6 - 3 Firebrands

I'm a bit lost in the development of floorball in Penang, after leaving the committee a few years back, I am totally disconnected from any floorball news, state development team, etc. Sometimes, when we're invited for state training, I don't see many familiar faces on court which is a good thing as the sport is growing and I also see a lot of potential players.

I've never seen Firebrands as a threat all this years, for me they are just an average club. Until two weeks back, when they surprise me with their result in their league games. Oh boy, I was a little shocked and impressed. How did they come to where they are today? Among the many clubs in Penang, I find Firebrands to be the club to learn from. I really admire the leadership and the people in the team. Even after losing their match against us, their spirits were still up high. Which is not an easy thing to do unless you play with the right spirit and attitude. There is just something different about them.

It was a tiring match for me, I just recovered from my hamstring injury and I didn't dare to push hard in the first period, fearing the pain and pull would come. It happen in our match against Frontliners. I heard a snap sound when I was sprinting for a counter attack. It was scary.

First period was tough as we were only ahead by a goal. They played a very discipline and tight defense, often trying to make a counter through the middle or by lobbing. But Darien, Rooban, Sam and Nicholes really stepped up in defending all those flying balls. 2nd period was 3-1 and 3rd period was 2 - 2. Our opponents made a few errors which cost them 2-3 goals deficit, they may lack of experience but not speed and determination. Stepping up and pressuring us in the 3rd period shows they have no fear but enough will power to give us a tough game. Good job to both teams!

picture courtesy of Issac Chew

I must say, everyone in team Elite stepped up and played really well, even though we let in 3 goals, we know we could do better. We've all learned to be hungry on court and to feed on our opponents so we could step out of the court feeling 'full'. I was really hungry because I had no breakfast and I really wanted to beat them.

picture courtesy of Issac Chew

You know you're body is no longer 17 when you wake up the next morning feeling sore. This is the kinda sore where you play for 2/3 of the time against tough opponents but I did not. Someone came up to be and said, you shouldn't feel tired at all cause you do tris. O.o It's different from triathlons. People have this misconception that I have super good stamina and speed because I do tris. It's totally different, Floorball is a maximum effort game while tri is a Zone 2 HR sport. Endurance is more of my strength now than boom boom running.

I'm pretty sure we will see more from Firebrands next season, my respect and salute to you.

No comments: