Tuesday 17 April 2012

PAAA Round The Houses Relay

This isn’t the largest relay race in Penang or Malaysia but my first relay race since leaving primary school. I don’t remember doing any relay race in high school because I’m just not good enough. =P I got an invitation from my ex-high school mate, Cheok Teng, as one of his runner pulled out last minute. Since they need an extra runner, why not?. I met a few of them in our training sessions at PISA a few days before the race. Somehow sports people are just generally friendly and easy to mingle with. Our team captain, Chiat Fong even emailed me the race route for me to familiarize with before the race. Memang ada the 1st LOV, ‘Leadership is Responsible’. Bagus!

2.5km race route

I reached Padang Polo School about 6.45a.m and the crowd was building up, not exactly the largest crowd but the atmosphere was there. Saw many familiar faces as Penang’s sport community is not that big. My captain passed me the race bib numbers to be pin on my jersey and talked a little about the race. It started to drizzle when we were asked to assemble at Padang Polo according to the team’s alphabets and runners in sequential form. Those really made me feel like I was in primary school again. Haha.

Soon, it was go time. Our first runner, Cheok Teng, took his spot at the starting line and BOOM! It began. The rest of us waited at the field for our turn as it is a 2.5km loop per runner. Yea, 2.5k may not be a lot but this is about speed. You’ve to burst yet last long enough to finish the race strong. I didn’t really train for this so the last 400 meters was torturous.

Cheok Teng M1 setting the pace

Being the last runner isn’t an easy task, as you’re the one finishing the race for your team and teammates. I didn’t wanna let my teammates down by finishing with a crappy time, so that was my source of motivation. I waited excitedly for the 7th runner, Alaga, nice chap. In that moment, when the crowd is loud with cheers, I can’t wait to get hold of the baton and start running. As he got nearer my heart pounded harder and faster, soon the baton was in my hands. As I was running on the main road opposite Disted, a car honk at me at the other side of the road, I turned and I saw another ex-high school friend, Ee Liang and his gf, that motivated me even more. These are the little things which can pump up your adrenaline, support and motivation.

Team Run Forest Run 2 - before race

Team Run Forest Run 2 - after race

After turning into Padang Polo, I could see the finishing line but it felt like I was not moving. My heart was at maximum rate and I was already being fueled by mental strength, nothing else. Every stride I made, I had to keep telling myself why and what those strides are for. As I got nearer to the finishing line, I saw my teammates cheering for me, telling me I’m getting near, keep pushing, come on!, finish it, almost there, etc. I kept up my pace and cross the line the fastest I could. Oh man, my legs were burning, my muscles were stiff, and I just wanna lie down and close my eyes. Nonetheless, it was a good race.

I love this pic! Look at my supportive teammates! =)

The finisher's medal

After race home cooked porridge by one of the teammate's gf I think. yummy.

Even though I’m new to the group, but I felt the bond and support from them. I wanna thank Chiat Fong again for organizing this race so I could experience something new. Another thing that I notice is, most of my sports pics are ugly like sh*t. But I realized the uglier means the more effort you’re putting in. See example below. Have a great week! =)

10:11 (second fastest -ugly)

9:20 (fastest in our team but ugliest. haha)

Moral of the story, don't worry about how you look, performance and result is more important. ^^

gif maker
Team Run Forest Run 2

No comments: