Sunday 12 August 2012

Project Save Orange Episode 3


A week has passed and I’ve yet to conclude how Orange actually left the premise. Hotel Sentral’s management has yet to call me and inform me regarding their findings from the CCTV footage. I am tired of walking up to their lobby and bugging the Assistant Operations Executive and Manager but that’s the only thing I can do.

This week is a hectic week for me, every night I would distribute flyers in a designated area with volunteers that I wouldn’t expect to help me. First that responded to my distress call was Eileen Teh Hui Ping. On 5th August 2012, just a day after Orange went missing, she asked whether I have looked around the neighborhood and even give me some tips on how to trace a missing dog. We chatted after church and she offered to come to my place to try search for Orange in the afternoon. I un-shamefully accepted the offer with arms wide open. =)

Help Us Spread The Word
It was around 4.00PM when she came to my house, the sun was up high and hot. Asked whether she needs an umbrella, she said no. Wow, so macho even I can’t withstand the heat and even brought an umbrella along. We went around searching for Orange, stepped in a groomer, a few convenient stalls and shops. She passed the flyer out and asked whether they have seen this dog. One of the shop owners told us that he understands how we feel because he has dogs as well. He said when one of their dogs died, his wife “hao ka sien ka gu aneh” (cried like a cow), I found that kinda hilarious and he was really comical. 

We walked into the alleys and she called Orange name moderately soft. I find that really cute. Lol. She is really helpful, kind hearted and encouraging to me. Not only did she help me once, but the following Wednesday, we went around her housing area distributing flyers. I will be forever grateful to your act of kindness towards Orange and I. It was a great time catching up and talking to you too. 

The second person was John Jonathan Leong, a busy father and a busy manager in an optical shop who was willing to sacrifice his Saturday afternoon for me. We went to Queensbay Mall at about 3pm, we first stopped at Absolute Fitness to pass some flyers to a friend who was working out there. We distribute the flyers to random people that walked pass us and sad to say probably 50% of them would receive our flyers, the rest would just walk pass us ignoring us or rejecting it. But what can I say? Yet John gave his best. After 15minutes or so, I told him the distribution of flyers is too slow and we’re wasting our time, let’s just go to the car park and leave in on the windscreen. He agreed but only to join me later. 

As his approach the multi storey level car park, he was marked by the guard and was told to retrieve back those flyers he had given out. He collected all of them and left to the outdoor car park which was out in the blazing sun. He was in jeans! Imagine how terribly hot he would feel in the sun, putting flyers on as many cars as possible. I could see his sweat all over his face and shirt. A man that keeps his promise he is and I’m very thankful for a patient senior like him, always listening to my endless complains and always giving me the right advice and words to carry on with life.   

Last but not least for the week was Eong Shing. She plays Floorball for my club and she is one of the few people that msg me asking about Orange’s updates, etc. She asked whether I need help and since she’s staying in an area which I have not distribute flyers at yet, I accepted her offer. We left her home at about 9.00PM and the terrain in that area was hilly. I remembered finishing our assignment with my shirt soaking wet like I’ve just finished a session of Floorball training. I remembered commenting about Shing in the player of the month column that she is a very ‘kuai’ girl. The obedient type that would listen to her parents advice and love her family. I still think she is. 

I asked her, why she bothered helping since she is not a pet lover. She answered, “I know how it feels like to lose someone you love.” I was stunned for a moment. She added that she was afraid of dogs, cats, insects and probably anything else that move, yet she still chose to help and walked through those hilly sections. I have to say I am really moved by your ‘courage’ to overcome those dogs that come charging when you put the flyers in the mailbox. I am really thankful for the kind deed and for listening to my life stories. It was a nice chat with you.


Thank you Cui Lin for designing the amazing flyers. Approximately 3,000 pieces went out this week.
I would like to thank to rest who help in a way or another, special thanks to Sam, Nic, Bryan Teoh, Jason Chew, Cheok Teng, Alwyn Wan and to those that I’ve missed out. And also for those who has shared the picture. A big thank you! When we find back Orange, I’m gonna throw a big party and invite all of you to celebrate. We are getting there. 

Orange: Thanks for trying to save me. I am still waiting.

No comments: