Monday 23 November 2009

My second PBIM

The day before the race, we had our ritual team meet up aka carbo loading. Met a few new guys and familiar faces from Team Miracle Mile. Collected our race pack, etc. Later that night, Sam came over my place to stay for the night. We then load again and he bought his first ever PowerBar.

With so much of loading, I planned to release those crap and unnecessary burden before race morning. We went to bed about 9.00pm woke up at 2.10am. Tried to crap, push, push but nothing came out. No choice, I have to carry those 'burden'.

Got there by bike, I was only in my running vest and it was freezing cold. What a way to start before the race.

Did a little warm up and I was ready to go. The muted-gun went off and the race begins. Met a couple of floorballers along the way, wished them all the best and went on.

Just before getting on the bridge Sam asked why am I running so slow. He said my pace should be faster than my current speed. I knew what to expect because I've been through this road before. I told him, 'Relax, we have a long way still.' Didn't wanna tekan so fast.

First 10K was pretty good, managed to clocked a PB of 48:16. that's an average of 12.4km/h. That's a good speed. I was pacing this grey singlet guy from the 6th km mark, he's speed was consistent and fast. In my mind I know I can take him down. I tried to overtake him, but he seems to be further from me, I tried to close our gap but it widen again. It was frustrating, in my head I went, 'Walau, this guy aneh keat meh?.' Its only at the 11th km mark, that's when I overtook him. It felt great! (Pace and hunt technique to keep your head busy)

Into the 15K mark, the bridge seems to clear off, more space less people. It was a race against time. Target was a sub 2hours, problem is I did not wear a watch or carry my phone with me. So I didn't know how much time I have taken.

I saw bananas, should I take? A bit hungry la. haih...forget bout it. Eat later focus now. But it looks big and tempting. hehe.

I didn't feel too good, stomach giving me problem and I could feel those 'burden' at the end of the hose if you know what I mean. I was so afraid I would be too tired to hold those 'burden' together.

Hence, pace started to drop, I could feel tiredness creeping through my legs. Have to stay strong, looked my LIVESTRONG wrist band. Felt a rush of energy again. Aha...my mental workout works. =)

After my turn at the E.gate checkpoint, I saw a bunch of scouts sleeping like babies. I know this has nothing to do with me but I feel like waking them up with a loud roar. Just for fun. Tension d that time.

Saw the last 2K mark, time to tekan turbo. I thought I would overtake most of the runners there, but I was wrong. They were all strong as well, some even tekan NOS. Run run run, saw the finishing line, wohoo. No crowd to cheer me on, so no semangat la the ending. Net time was 1:46:10 and I came out 66th placing. I am happy with my time.

Went to get those free drinks and bananas along the way. A Digi promoter came up to be at about 4+ am to promote their broadband. I was like, Waaaaaaah, this people are crazy. Sipek hardworking. See you tired also boh pang kua.

2 comments:

Christopher Koh said...

You should tell the Digi flers, "I sudah 'bersunat'"... Hahahahaha.

Great time Des! :)

Deswyn Wan said...

too tired to respond to them la. haha. thanks! i think you improved a lot. its not because the distance is shorter. good job!