Sunday 13 September 2009

All Star Interview : Deswyn Wan #20

Please meet myself.

[Deswyn #20]

How long have you been playing Floorball?Since which year?
6years d lo since 2003.

What stick do you use and why?
Fatpipe Japan/Hog because it gives me great control and power in my shots. And I love the flex and feel of it. The hole blade also makes it easier to do tricks in the game.

Why do you wear #20?Any reason(s) behind it?
#20 because that's my birth date.

How do you train to be where you are today?
First of all, I set goals that I wanna achieve then I work towards it. You need a 'Vision'. That's mental training. Secondly, I learn from people who are better than me or who could coach me and correct my mistakes. You've gotta be teachable and humble because there will always be someone who is better than you. Thirdly, I do my own homework and research on how to improve my techniques, shots, accuracy, etc. Finally, practise, practise, practise and never ever give up!

[Inne vs Contact]

What do you think is the MOST IMPORTANT element in becoming a good Floorball player?
I always believe in the basics. If you're good at it, you'll will be able to advance your technical skills further. Get your basics right i.e flat passes, looking up when having the ball, good ball control, speed & stamina. FYI I only practise on ball control for the first 6months.

How do you train on your physical fitness?How many times a week?
Besides jogging, I also cycle and swim. I do hit the gym for weight training. I think I train about 5-6days a week but most importantly you've to enjoy what you do.

Did success in Floorball come quickly for you or did it take some time before you were successful?
As for me I was fortunate enough to taste success not long after I started the game. I guess its just the right timing for me as Floorball was just booming at that time. Penang just started and the National selection for the World Championship 2004 in Spain was on. I guess my hard work and determination paid off.

[Cheering with Team Salibandy!Co]

Do you have any pre-game ritual?
Used to listen to 'Stand Up for the Champions' before each game. Don't think I have any ritual now. Oh...oh..got!!Singing our Innebandy!Co song. It helps!

Do you have any favorite songs/movies that motivates you?
I like the quotes in 'We are Marshall'. It is based on a true story. Very inspiring and touching.
Anything with nice melody or with heavy bass cause it gets me pumping. Current favorite 'I Know You Want Me by Pitbull'.

One word about you and Floorball.
Happy =)

No comments: